Interested In Reviving This Project?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Jan 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Are you interested in reviving this excellent project?

Do you want to help get and keep this project current with the development happening on OpenNLP?

It has been over 4 years since this project was first created. In those intervening years the OpenNLP codebase has changed drastically and has a number of improvements, bug fixes, refactorings, and general improvements. 

Catching up from where SharpNLP is today to the current state of OpenNLP is an enormous undertaking. I won't be able to do it alone.

In order to facilitate this update, I've created an open source GitHub repository here called SharperNLP [https://github.com/pburrows/SharperNLP] (yeah, I know not the most clever name.) As of right now SharperNLP is a direct fork of the SharpNLP code base. Very rapidly I want to get this project current with where OpenNLP is.

I am going to need a lot of help to get this done.

It does not matter if you are new to the concepts of NLP, new to SharpNLP, or even new to programming. The first tasks, for a long time, are going to be straight porting from the Java code base to our C# code base. Porting from Java to C# is easy. It is modular, and anyone can do it.

I am going through today and this weekend (probably won't get it done tonight) and adding Issues for the conversion of specific .Java to equivalent .CS files. If you want to help, check out the Issues list, choose one of the files to convert, and have at it. 

I've seen a lot of posts on this forum asking if this project is dead, and volunteering to help out on it. This is your chance.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:40 AM

I may be interested in helping out.  I've been primarily a VB / Vb.NET programmer for the last 15+ years.  I'm not very efficient at C# but can get around in it.  I have no Java Experience.   I may not be able to dedicate a lot of time.  I'll have a look at the issues and and see about getting into the repository.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Good idea !

I'm a phd student and I work on NLP for statistical machine translation.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I'm glad there's interest in this project.

The current state of the OpenNLP project is wildly different from the current state of SharpNLP. OpenNLP has gone through several project restructures over the last couple years.

I've created the project structure and empty classes for the MaxEnt portion of the project (the Maximum Entropy library is the core on which most of the rest of OpenNLP is based on.) (see: https://github.com/pburrows/SharperNLP/tree/master/SharperNLP.MaxEntropy)

For each class which needs to be converted, I've created a separate Issue for that class. (see: https://github.com/pburrows/SharperNLP/issues/#list)

Currently there are 83 issues. The class files each one of these issues represents is created, but empty. It is just the default class template Visual Studio uses when you create a class. 

If you are interested in helping, feel free to simply grab any one of these issues and work on it. Message me your GitHub ID (easiest to do that from GitHub,) and I will add you as a collaborator on the project.

Again, remember, this is not a huge commitment. Grabbing a single Java class and converting it to C#, for most of the classes, will take less than an hour. In many cases, far far less than an hour. Any help is awesome!

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM

With pleasure Patrick.

My github id is mituser too like to codeplex. My name is Achraf.

I see issues. There consist to convert the project from C# to Java, and it's a good idea for me to understand the project structure. I note that i'm a teacher at university. I teach Advanced Java :) and this is good for project. Also, i have a good skills on C#.net.

Let's start working and developing.

Bye.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM
mituser wrote:

With pleasure Patrick.

My github id is mituser too like to codeplex. My name is Achraf.

I see issues. There consist to convert the project from C# to Java, and it's a good idea for me to understand the project structure. I note that i'm a teacher at university. I teach Advanced Java :) and this is good for project. Also, i have a good skills on C#.net.

Let's start working and developing.

Bye.

I've added you as a contributor, Achraf. Welcome!

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Thank you very much Patrick.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I would like to participate in the development process of this project. I'm a C# developer and I'm quite familiar with Java sintax. Also I'm a masters student in NLP.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM
RePierre wrote:

I would like to participate in the development process of this project. I'm a C# developer and I'm quite familiar with Java sintax. Also I'm a masters student in NLP.

My github user is RePierre.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Great! I've added you as a contributor, sir.

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Thank you Patrick!

I've configured my development environment and cloned the repository. I'm ready to rock the code! :)

BTW, are there any coding standards/guidelines that I should know of/look over?

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hi All,

The code doesn't run on VS2008 !! When i upgrade the new project doesn't contain the .cs file.

Should I use VS2005 or other version ?

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:14 PM

All the project files are Visual Studio 2010. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:23 PM
RePierre wrote:

BTW, are there any coding standards/guidelines that I should know of/look over?

I usually just go with the Microsoft Design Guidelines. For this project, though, I would not want to stray far from the OpenNLP naming conventions. So where the OpenNLP naming conflicts with the Microsoft recommended naming or usage, I would err on the side of staying with the OpenNLP names.  

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Are any tools currently being used to automate the java to c# conversion?

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:47 AM

btw, I own the http://nwitsml.org project, which is converted from the jwitsml.org project... I did manual (lots of search and replace work) conversion of this project, but have since been researching some tools that help automate things.